Saturday, January 19, 2013

Meds brah


As some of you may know, my mum is somewhat of a nutritionist and nutrition entrepreneur. As such, she has access to a lot of resources. As I was trawling through her folder on my computer (to free up hard disk space hurhur), I discovered a documentary called Foodmatters. It drew focus on the importance of nutrition to allow the human body to engage its own healing processes - rather than relying on conventional "pill for every ill" medicine. It really intrigued meand I was on the edge of my seat for the whole 1 hour and 32 minutes. Extended edition, biatch.

It got me thinking about what I career I really wanted to follow. So, I spent some time researching medical specialties and more obscure medicine-related courses. These are some that were the most interesting to me:

Medical specialties ( >2 years of postgraduate training in workplace)
-  Rheumatology
-  Sports and Exercise Medicine
-  Emergency Medicine

Applied sciences - BAppSc
- Exercise and sport science + Masters in Nutrition and dietetics
- Exercise physiology
- Physiotherapy

Alternative medicines - only offered by dodgy, hippy looking unis
-  Nutritional and Environmental medicines
-  Nutritional Medicine

Having to see a physio/Exercise physiologist for a while really piqued my interest in sports medicine and that's what I've wanted to do for a while now.

Nutrition and health are also points of interest because of the exposure I've had to it.
About 3 years ago, Mum took the whole family to Sanoviv Health Institute in Tijuana, Mexico for a week. Tijuana? That place is like superdrugdealerkidnapperdodgy right? Yeah it is. We were actually picked up in San Diego and driven there by like some ex-special forces driver guy. The actual institute itself is really isolated on the coast, walled off and super safe though.
The main reason we went was because Mum's health at the time wasn't too good and she wanted to basically get a whole body checkup for her and Dad. She also wanted me and Daniel to come along because the place is super awesome.

Food: Everything was organic/home grown, low-carb, low sodium, no prior processing. Breakfasts were combinations of vegetable/fruit smoothies, poached eggs, steamed vegeatables. Lunch/ dinner were MOSTLY vegetarian and raw -  massive self-serve salad bar. None of your disgusting fatty dressings though - lemon juice, olive oil, sun dried tomato you get the idea. the mian course was usually vegetarian as well and low-carb = brown rice, salmon, vege sushi etc. You get the idea.

Medical professionals: everything under the sun. Cardiologists, immunologists, haemotologists, nutritionists, neurologists, chiropractors etc etc. Everything was holistic and focused on nutrition.

Anyway, the main gist of it was that it was heavily focused on creating a healthy environment for the body to heal itself. No pills. No prescriptions. and it worked. After a week, all the blood tests, urine samples, blood pressures, dental imaging - everything that my mum and dad got tested for came back a whole lot better than before. Intense, eh?

Mum also sent Daniel and me to the nutrionists to get checked. They made a program for us and for about 3 months after that, Daniel and I had fresh salads for every meal. EVERY. MEAL. It got pretty tough but it was extremely beneficial.

Anyway, that was a long rant, but that's how I got really interested in nutrition. lol.

Researching this stuff really highlighted the amount of education and training I still have in store before I can enter this field. Still have HSC to go as well lololololol.

Maths will be the end of me


No comments:

Post a Comment